Monday, October 15, 2012

Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! (Psalm 4:1)

biblestudytools.com Logo

[Editor's note: Beyond Sunday is a Monday refresher to carry you through the week.]

Focus Verse of the Week
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! (Psalm 4:1)

Photo is drawing of King David by Rembrandt van Rijn called "David On His Knees"

Classic Commentary
This is another instance of David's common habit of pleading past mercies as a ground for present favor. Here he reviews his Ebenezers [his reminders of God's faithfulness] and takes comfort from them. It is not to be imagined that he who has helped us in six troubles will leave us in the seventh. God does nothing by halves, and he will never cease to help us until we cease to need. The manna shall fall every morning until we cross the Jordan.
David speaks first to God and then to men. Surely we should all speak the more boldly to men if we had more constant conversations with God. He who dares to face his Maker will not tremble before the sons of men.

"God of my righteousness," deserves notice, since it is not used in any other part of Scripture. It means, "You are the author, the witness, the maintainer, the judge, and the rewarder of my righteousness; to you I appeal from the false charges and harsh judgments of men." Herein is wisdom; let us imitate it and always take our case, not to the petty courts of human opinion, but into the superior court, the King's Bench of heaven.
(Adapted from Charles Spurgeon's The Treasury of David.)

A Thought to Keep
When you are surrounded by trouble, first look back to God's faithfulness in the past. Then, remember that He is your just judge and protector.

Join Trinity Mount Family on Twitter:

No comments:

Post a Comment